A hockey skate is an unavoidable gear that allows players to dominate on the rink. The laces ensure that the skate fits perfectly to the player’s feet, complimenting precise balance and control on the ice. Are you looking for “the best hockey skate laces?” Then you have come to the right place.
Many people ignore the significance of laces and purchase random ones. They soon regret their purchase due to the wrong length and size of the laces. Furthermore, the wrong pair of laces can affect your feet in various aspects. But unfortunately, many people are unaware of the facts that should be considered before purchasing.
Therefore, I have come up with the top 6 hockey skate laces in this article. After digging through numerous reviews, I concluded that “A&R Stryker Waxed Hockey Skate Laces” is the best one that everyone should try. In addition, I have chosen five high-quality brands as alternatives. So, let’s start.
Top Six best hockey skate laces
Table of Contents
Best quality laces: Elite Prolace Waxed Hockey Skate Laces
Best water-resistant laces: A&R Stryker Waxed Hockey Skate Laces
Best lightweight laces: Pro S700 Waxed Laces
Best laces for teen boys: Howies Colored Wax Hockey Skate Laces
Best non-waxed laces: A&R Sports Unisex Hockey Striker Skate Laces
Best precise waxed laces: Bauer vapor skate laces
Best hockey skate laces Reviewed
Here’s my candid review of the Best hockey skate laces and why they are an excellent choice for you. You will also go over the pros and cons of each product to get a complete picture. So you can compare and easily pick the right one for you.
The lion’s share of the users has expressed their super satisfaction with these laces. They claim that the laces are lightweight, long-lasting, and simple to use. Most importantly, the tight grip boosts the players’ confidence in their ability to dominate the ice field without the need for re-tightening.
In contrast, some players felt that the laces are highly waxy that it becomes too challenging to unlace the knot after matches.
Elite Hockey requires no introduction. The Canadian company has a global reputation as a manufacturer of hockey accessories. The brand’s Waxed Hockey Laces have almost every necessary characteristic to help players master the rink. The high-quality laces contain a sufficient amount of wax to provide a secure grip. As a result, players will not have to re-tighten the laces multiple times during a match. Most importantly, these laces are water resistant, which means they will stay dry, which is critical for the players’ comfort. Furthermore, these laces come in 11 different colors and six different sizes.
- Elite Prolace Waxed Laces use a heavy-duty wax coating that offers excellent grips
- The laces are durable yet lightweight due to high-quality material
- The wax coating makes the laces water-resistant, providing the players with optimum flexibility and comfort
- The molded waxed tip is break and fray resistant
- It offers outstanding grips without any further tightening
- The laces are water, break, and fray resistant
- Players will find the product in various colors and sizes
- It is too waxy
- The knot sometimes gets super tight due to excessive wax
Product specification: item’s Dimensions: 6.4 x 2.5 x 0.9 inches, Item’s weight: 1.45 Ounces/ 0.09 pounds, Manufacturer: Elite Hockey, Color: White with black flecks, Length: 72 inches
Most users have said that they will make the same purchase again in the future. According to them, these laces provide good grips and don’t feel loose. The quality is also admirable. They’re easy to lace up and unlace as well. In contrast, some players felt that these laces are too waxy.
A&R is another world-famous hockey accessory company. The company has been dominating the field for over 20 years & is one of the officially approved Hockey Laces in the USA. So, you can blindly trust the product’s quality. To ensure maximum durability & grip, manufacturers dip the laces down in 100% Pure Liquid Paraffin & then heat the laces to remove the extra wax. The process doubles the security and longevity of the product. Furthermore, these laces are available in ten different colors and sizes to accommodate the large customer base.
- The key material of the laces is cotton which provides a delicate texture
- These laces are lightweight, weighing only 0.1 pounds.
- It offers a lucrative “Double Stripe Design.”
- It features molded tips that resist brittleness and tearing in the laces.
- It is covered with 100% Pure Liquid Paraffin
- The product’s Preferred Users are unisex adults.
- The cotton material provides maximum comfort
- 100% waxed laces will offer ultimate grips to ensure excellent balance
- It comes in a wide range of colors and sizes.
- The price is pretty reasonable than other brands
- It feels a bit stiff.
Product specification: Sport Type: HockeyProduct, Dimensions (LxWxH): 72 x 1 x 1 inch, Product’s Weight: 0.1 Pounds, Model Name: USA, Material: Cotton, Size: 72-Inch, color: Black.
The majority of users have expressed their satisfaction with the product. According to the users, these laces are very thick and durable. Without the slide factor, the laces secure into the eyelets. Even kids can tie these laces effortlessly. Besides, the length was also perfect. Overall, it provides excellent value at an affordable price. However, some customers have reported receiving only one pair of laces despite the advertisement offering two pairs.
Pro S700 Waxed Laces are decently waxed laces that provide precise grips. Players, who don’t like too many gummy laces, must give it a try. One of the most advantageous features of this pair is that they are water and snow-resistant. So, laces will remain dry all day long, providing the players with maximum comfort. These lucrative pairs are available in 4 different colors and six sizes.
- There is optimal width in the laces to place feet without being too tight
- The laces contain the appropriate amount of wax to provide players with precise grips
- The molded lace tip prevents lace breakage and fraying.
- Enough wax coating on the laces prevents ice and snow accumulation.
- The precise wax coating prevents a sticky feeling.
- The ice and snow resistance feature is beneficial for keeping the laces dry.
- The tip molding ensures the laces’ durability even after repeated use.
- It is available in a number of colors and sizes
- There have no cons to this product.
Product specification: Sport Type: Hockey, Brand Name: Elite Hockey, Product Dimensions 6.1 x 2.7 x 0.9 inches, Package Weight: 0.02 Kilograms, Material: wax, Size: 72-Inch, Color: Black.
According to the users, these laces are of the best quality. Players can remain confident throughout the game as the laces have very limited slips back. The length and width of the laces are also accurate. Besides, the brightly colored laces also add an energetic vibe.
If you are looking for the best quality hockey laces for your teen boy, Howies Colored Wax Hockey Laces should be at the top of your list. It is a notable manufacturer of hockey laces in the United States and Canada. Besides, it is a major supplier to various hockey leagues such as the NCAA D1, the Pro East Coast Hockey League, and others. The laces are of such high quality that 57 out of 61 NCAA D1 players used “Howie’s laces”. So, it’s high time to impress your boy with these excellent laces.
- Polyester yarns absorb less dirt and moisture than cotton-made laces
- Howies Colored Hockey Laces offers the best quality of laces that anyone can trust
- Maximum width and wax ensure that laces are in place during play, eliminating the need to re-tighten.
- Molded tip ensures facile installation & blocks breakage and fraying
- The product is suitable for teen boys
- The top-notch quality ensures an extended period of durability
- The laces offer maximum width to place the feet comfortably
- Less dirt and moisture absorption capacity is convenient for keeping the laces dry and clean
- The molded tip is easy to install in the loops
- The laces don’t stay tight and require re-tightening
- The wax isn’t strong enough to last.
Product specification: Brand: Howies Hockey, Product’s Package Dimensions: L x W x H: 7 x 2 x 1 inch, Weight: 0.1 Pounds, Size: 72.0″, Color: Dark Green, Material: high-density polyester yarns
The general consensus among the employees is that this pair offers excellent value. They are easy to tie and untie. Besides, they are strong enough to withstand the effects of regular use. Some players have also stated that these pairs started to damage soon since they are not waxed.
In contrast, some users have complained about the wax quality as it is not like other waxed laces. They stated that these laces look good, but they require re-tightening, which is pretty disappointing.
Here’s another pair of laces from A&R Sports! This is the first pair of unwaxed laces on my list. Those who don’t prefer waxed laces can therefore try this model. The primary material of the unisex laces is yarn. The thick rope design and double yarn construction will undoubtedly keep the knot intact for several hours. Besides, the triple striker design with exceptionally molded tips is dedicated to preventing lace breakage even after repeated use. One of the appealing aspects of this model is that the company uses recycled paper for the packaging of these pairs.
- Thick rope design and double yarn construction provide a decent grip
- The laces have molded tips that prevent breakage and fray
- The laces weigh only 0.02 Pounds
- Customers can pick their pairs from 7 different colors and eight sizes
- They are decently durable to endure the abuse of playing hockey 3-4 times a week
- They offer a soft feeling, unlike waxed lace
- The pair is one of the most lightweight laces available.
- Unwaxed laces start to wear out faster than waxed ones
- It absorbs moisture.
Product specification: Product’s Dimensions (LxWxH): 72 x 1 x 1 inch, Manufacturer: A&R Sports, Weight: 0.02 Pounds, Recommended Users: unisex-adult, Size: 72-Inch.
Users of the Bauer vapor skate laces reported that the laces provide excellent grips during matches. Furthermore, they are strong, lightweight, and water-resistant. So, the players don’t feel uncomfortable.
However, it can become gummy and difficult to untie the knot due to the heavy wax coating.
This time I have come up with a comparatively new pair of laces that Rollerex first released in 2017. It features everything that players look for in their laces. It incorporates a sturdy braided fiber that is easy to tie and has an excellent grip. So, players don’t have to re-tighten them during match time. Furthermore, the polyester-made laces, like the other laces on my list, have molded tips to reduce the likelihood of lace breakage. It also has a heavy paraffin wax cover that makes it water and moisture-resistant. People who love to explore new models of laces can give it a try.
- The material of the laces is 100% Polyester
- It contains a heavy layer of paraffin wax to extend the durability
- The molded tip is breakage resistant
- The unisex laces are suitable for adult
- It comes in six different colors and three different size options.
- It provides sufficient grip
- It is lightweight
- The Polyester material is moisture resistant
- Sometimes the knot becomes too sticky to untie
Product specification: Dimensions: 5.55 x 2.17 x 1.1 inches, Brand: Bauer, Weight: 03 Ounces/ 0.13 pounds, Material: 100% Polyester, Size:120.0″.
Some practical tips about Hockey skate laces
There are some effective tips that can save players from unexpected situations. Let’s look at some of them:
- Tips for parents: If you have more than one child who plays hockey, try to give them different colored laces. It will help you to figure out which one belongs to whom.
- Drying out skates and laces: If you play hockey on a regular basis, you are aware of the importance of drying out Hockey skates. It is always best to let skates dry after a tournament. Don’t forget about your laces. It will prolong the lifespan of the gears.
- Go through frequent check-ups: Following tournaments, inspecting the laces’ condition is critical. Check the laces at least once or twice every 15 days. Make sure that the laces’ tips and ropes are in good condition. Otherwise, the laces may snap during the game.
- Always keep an extra pair of laces in your hockey bag: No one knows when the laces will break & nothing is worse than having to deal with frayed laces during a match. As a result, it is a good idea to keep an extra pair of laces in your bag. So, players can easily alter if necessary.
- Changing laces: if you are a professional player, then try to change your laces every 2 to 3 months. On the other hand, if you are an amateur player, you can use the laces as long as they are in good condition.
Buying guide: How to select the best skate laces
You have probably bought an expensive pair of skates. But if your laces don’t complement the skates, then you will have to compromise the performance. As a result, proper lace selection is critical to delivering the best performance, which many players overlook. There are several things to focus on while purchasing skate laces. The following are the most vital factors:
Types of Laces:
There are two types of Hockey laces: waxed and non-waxed or Cloth laces. Though initially, cloth laces were popular, currently, most players use waxed laces. However, each of them has its own benefits and drawbacks, which players need to know in detail before investing in laces.
- Waxed laces: Waxed laces are those that have a layer of paraffin or wax on them. The layer can vary from brand to brand. Some brands use a heavy layer of wax on their laces, while others use a thin layer to keep the laces less greasy. Let’s look at the benefits and drawbacks of waxed laces:
Benefits of the Waxed laces
- Due to the added stickiness, the waxed laces remain tighter for a more extended period.
- The wax barrier protects the lace fabric from water and moisture, extending the laces’ durability.
- The wax layer prevents the laces from breaking easily.
- The waxed laces are simple to thread through the skates’ eyelets.
Drawbacks of waxed laces:
- Waxed laces crack faster than non-waxed laces.
- A heavy layer of wax makes the laces too gummy and creates an artificial feeling.
- It is difficult for the younger players to tie and untie the waxed laces since the knot becomes too sticky.
- Waxed laces are more expensive than unwaxed laces.
- Cloth/ non-waxed Laces:
There is no additional wax coating on these laces. These are like shoelaces. However, the only difference is that non-waxed skate Laces are thicker than shoelaces. Let’s have a look at the benefits and drawbacks of non-waxed laces:
Benefits of the non-waxed laces:
- Non-waxed laces are less expensive than waxed laces.
- Unlike waxed laces, they are softer and offer a more natural feel.
- They are simple to tie and untie.
- Unwaxed laces are incredibly light.
Drawbacks of non-waxed laces:
- They cannot provide the same level of grip as waxed laces
- They are less durable than waxed ones because there is no layer to protect the inside fabrics.
- If these laces get wet, they do not dry faster.
- They are likely to wear out due to constant friction from eyelets.
Size and Length
Hockey skates are the primary weapon for hockey players, no matter if the individual is a professional or recreational player. The accurate size of the skate helps the players to efficiently maintain balance and speed. Therefore, securing the skate is an unavoidable thing where the length of the laces appears vital. The size of the laces should neither be too long nor too short. While shorter laces cannot secure the skate properly, oversized laces can make you fall. But how to determine the accurate length of the laces? Well, I have mentioned the easiest way to measure the length of the laces below accurately:
- Take a pair of skates that fit you perfectly.
- Calculate the distance between the bottom two eyelets with a measuring tape.
- Identify the total number of the skate’s eyelets on one side. The number of eyelets can vary from brand to brand.
- Now multiply the distance between the two bottom eyelets by the total number of eyelets on one side.
- After you have counted the eyelets on one side, multiply this number by two.
- Now add 18 inches with the found length. This is the final measurement of the lace’s length. Generally, the size of the hockey skate laces ranges from 72 inches to 130 inches.
To find the right length, one can use the size chart below:
|Skates’ Size||Possible length of laces|
|Youth 8 – Junior 3||72 inches|
|Junior 3.5 – Junior 5.5||84 inches|
|Adult 6 – Adult 8||96 inches|
|Adult 8 – Adult 10||108 inches|
|Adult 10 – Adult 13||120 inches|
|Adult 12 – Adult 15||130 inches|
Thickness/ width of the laces:
Keep a sharp eye on the width of the laces. The width of the lace should neither be too thick nor too thin. Thin laces will tear soon, while extremely thick laces will be difficult to thread through the eyelets. Therefore, it is better to use branded lace as they offer a functional thickness on their laces.
It will be beneficial for the players to look for an adequately molded tip as it provides them with numerous benefits. Molded tips are easier to put through the eyelets. Moreover, it prevents water and moisture absorption. If your laces’ tips are not properly molded, then you have to go through a lot of hassle.
Frequently asked questions
What type of Hockey skate laces do NHL players use?
There is no straightforward answer to it. Since different players have different choices, they use different brands. For instance, some players use waxed laces, while others use non-waxed laces. It depends on their comfort level, style of lacing, etc.
What are the best hockey laces brands?
There are various brands that make excellent quality skate laces. Among them, the following are the most notable brands:
- A&R sports
- Elite Hockey
What are the pros and cons of a hockey skate lace tightener?
A hockey skate lace tightener is a tool by which one can pull the laces without touching them. The tool has several advantages and disadvantages. Some of them are as follows:
- Players don’t have to use their hands to tighten the laces
- it protects their hands from friction with the laces
- It is difficult for beginners to tighten the laces through the tool
- One cannot realize the tightness quickly enough to make perfect lacing.
What are the types of Hockey skate lacing?
There are various skate lacing styles. The most notable ones are as follows:
- Under crisscross lacing
- Over crisscross lacing
- Lock lacing
People get incredibly excited when it comes to Hockey skates. Considering numerous issues, they make the final purchase. But it does not happen with skate laces. They most often purchase random laces and later repent for buying. Therefore, I have discussed the best Hockey Skate Laces in this article. Here I have mentioned the features, pros, and cons of the top six models of skate laces. In my opinion, the best one is A&R Stryker Waxed Hockey Skate Laces since it incorporates many advantageous features that every player wants in their hockey laces. The reasons behind this selection are the 100% Liquid Paraffin wax coating, cotton material, numerous colors and sizes, and reasonable price.
For the reader’s convenience, I have provided several tips and a detailed buying guide that players should consider before purchasing laces. I hope the readers will find the information practical and valuable.
Our more resources: